Humanandkind wanted to understand the commercial viability of launching a new innovative natural skincare product called ‘Family Remedy’ into the global skincare market. We were presented with an unbranded 50ml white tube with an initial formulation inside and we worked from there.
We needed to:
- Size the market & the opportunity for the product
- Understand the current skincare market in depth both on & offline
- Define & target market for the product & rationale for this definition – why were we going to go after this group etc.
- Understand what the proposed target market thought of the product i.e. how did it stack up vs. what they used currently & others in the marketplace, what value would they place on it having heard what it is / what it does, what would they pay, etc?
Multi stage approach applied using both qual & quant methodologies;
The Results / Real Insights:
- The primary research validated the secondary research – the market for online skincare was actually a lot bigger and had more potential than first thought.
- Reaction to the proposed new product was over whelming and a lot more positive than they could have ever expected
- The business re-defined their target market based on the findings – the market was actually a lot broader than they had originally thought. And their target market was willing to spend a lot more than originally thought on organic / natural skincare online.
- They were also able to adjust the original price-point upwards as consumers felt the products provenance, ingredients used and the effectiveness of it warranted a higher price point to that being proposed
- The product was launched successfully and from an initial white tube the business has grown to include a suite of over 30 products across skincare, body care and hair care.
Real Insights driving Growth:
The business has since expanded at a rapid rate with a product range of over 30 products from skincare to hair care and it’s available in more than 20 countries worldwide with further expansion on the horizon.
Expert, Ireland’s largest electrical retailer wanted to build its profile within the Irish marketplace and position itself for growth moving forward within a very competitive and fast paced marketplace.
To do this we researched & gathered insights on the following key areas to produce a strategy for growth for the business over the next 3 years:
- Key Trends within the electrical and electronic markets here & abroad
- In-store interviews with Expert shoppers in various locations around the country
- Analysis of competitor activity both on & off line in Ireland
- In-depth interviews with the senior management team at Expert HQ in Ireland
- Discussions with Expert retailers on the ground in multiple locations around the country
- On street interviews with shoppers to competitor stores across the country (i.e. Harvey Norman, Euronics, Power City)
The Approach: Positioning the Expert electrical brand for growth
The Results / Real Insights:
- The research findings gave the business a tangible action oriented strategy for growth based around 4 Key Pillars.
- Retailer engagement has increased significantly – results from the entire research project were presented to them at the annual Expert Retailer Conference and Real Insights facilitated workshops with retailers on the day resulting in immediate action plans for the group.
- Processes have been put in place to measure operational standards and procedures as well as customer engagement and satisfaction.